Thursday 20 May 2010

Day 1 of my blog

Woke up this morning still feeling a bit head battered after the events from last night. I'm surprised D and I even slept.
Let me fill you in a bit on the events.
My son, who lives about 10 miles away has been having relationship problems with his girlfriend. After being on and off for a while, she eventually ended it with him. He has not taken it well. Over time, he has threatened to, and made veiled comments that he was going to end his life. These were more than likely cries for attention but over the last week things escalated with him trying to overdose on penicillin ( which I'm not even sure you can do, but hey, at least he will have a good immune system), but the idea was there with him. He has constantly been texting her and threatening to end his life, to the point we didn't have any option but to go to the police. It wasn't the hardest thing I have ever had to do but it was upsetting for all involved. The police immediately put out a search for him. At one point we found out he was on his way to a local train station, as if to go home but it turns out that when approaching the train station he ran away when he saw the police waiting at the station. After a while, the police found him and took him home. They considered him to be ok but upset so they didn't deem it necessary to take him to hospital.
We later received a call from a friend of his telling us that he received a message a while ago that he was going to throw himself in front of a train. Maybes the fact he saw the police, stopped him from doing it. We may never know.
I have not heard from him last night or today, so far.
In a strange way, just because I'm his Dad, I feel partly responsible for what he has been doing and upset that I have not been able to sort this out before it got to far even though we have spoken over and over at length, trying to get him to see reason and offer advice and options. I keep getting told that my son is old enough to make his own decisions and that there's nothing we could do, but this doesn’t take away the upset and worry that I may have pushed him too far. He text me last night before all this kicked off, to tell me, his dad, to leave him alone.
I will try to keep you updated.
Obviously I have had to leave out names and some details due to the sensitivity of the whole situation.

S

1 comment:

  1. I know it's tough but all you can do is be there for him if/when he needs you.

    ReplyDelete